Promoting School Health Education: A Lesson from the COVID-19 Pandemic
1 University of Djelfa, ALGERIA* Corresponding Author
Contemporary Mathematics and Science Education, 1(2), 2020, ep20009, https://doi.org/10.30935/conmaths/8579
OPEN ACCESS 1097 Views 747 Downloads
The world is facing to a new pandemic called coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In the absence of an efficient treatment or vaccines, Governments have adopted different preventive measures to limit the spread of this disease such as social distancing, mask wearing and quarantine. However, the response of people to these measures was one of the most obstacle in their application demonstrating a missing link in the concept of health education. The current manuscript describe the importance of school health education and the necessity of investing in this concept as a lesson from the COVID-19 pandemic./
Keywords: school health education, health promotion, COVID-19
Lounis, M. (2020). Promoting School Health Education: A Lesson from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Contemporary Mathematics and Science Education, 1(2), ep20009. https://doi.org/10.30935/conmaths/8579
- Au, W. H., Suen, L. K. P., & Wok, K. Y. L. (2010). Handwashing programme in kindergarten: a pilot study. Health Education, 110(1), 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1108/09654281011008717
- Bandawe, C. (2009). A synopsis of the field of health education in Malawi. Malawi Medical Journal, 21(4), 159-162. https://doi.org/10.4314/mmj.v21i4.49641
- Bartelink, N. H. M., van Assema, P., Jansen, M. W. J., Savelberg, H. H. C. M., Moore, G. F., Hawkins, J., & Kremers, S. P. J. (2019). Process evaluation of the Healthy Primary School of the Future: the key learning points. BMC Public Health, 19, 698. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-6947-2
- Cho, C.-M. (2009). The Effects of Regular Health Education affecting Health Knowledge, Attitude, Behavior on Middle School students. J. of Korean Soc. of School Health, 22(2), 49-59.
- Coalition of National Health Education Organizations (CNHEO). (2009). Health Education. Retrieved on 12 May 2020 from http://www.cnheo.org/files/health_ed.pdf
- Green, L. W., & Iverson, D. C. (1982). School health education. Ann. Re. Public Health., 3, 321-338. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.03.050182.001541
- Gulzar, S. A., Nayani, P., Husain, S. S., & Khan, A. (2017). Development of the School Health Education Program from the perspective of Comprehensive School Health Model: an example at a Higher Secondary School of Karachi, Pakistan. Taiwan J Public Health, 36(6), 545-555. https://doi.org/10.6288/TJPH201736105118
- Kim, Y. I., & Park, E. (2013). The Effects of Health Education on Health Knowledge and Health Promoting Behaviors in Elementary School Students. J Korean Soc School Health, 26(2), 55-61.
- Lounis, M. (2020). A Descriptive Study of the Current Situation of COVID-19 in Algeria. Electronic Journal of General Medicine, 17(6), em253. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejgm/8287
- Statista (2020). Number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide as of October 1, 2020, by country. Retrieved on 13 July 2020 from https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/
- Tomokawa, S., Asakura, T., Njenga, S. M., Njomo, D. W., Takeuch, R., Akiyama, T., Kazama, H., Mutua, A., Barnett, W., Henzan, H., Shimada, M., Ichinose, Y., Kamiya, Y., Kaneko, S., Miyake, K., & Kobayashi, J. (2020). Examining the appropriateness and reliability of the strategy of the Kenyan Comprehensive School Health Program. Global Health Promotion. First Published 30 May 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/1757975920917976
- Torabi, M. R., & Yang, J. Z. (2000). Comprehensive School Health Model: An Integrated School Health Education and Physical Education Program. ICPE 2000 Proceedings, pp. 89-104.
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2012). Health education: theoretical concepts, effective strategies and core competencies. A foundation document to guide capacity development of health educators. WHO Library Cataloguing in Publication DataRegional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean. Retrieved from https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/119953/EMRPUB_2012_EN_1362.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y