Measurement Model Testing: Adaption of Metacognitive Awareness Toward Mathematic Reasoning Among Undergraduate Education Students
1 Department of Mathematics and Science Education, Faculty of Education, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA* Corresponding Author
Contemporary Mathematics and Science Education, 3(2), 2022, ep22021, https://doi.org/10.30935/conmaths/12510
Published: 06 October 2022
OPEN ACCESS 330 Views 267 Downloads
This quantitative research aimed to measure the metacognitive awareness model toward mathematics reasoning among 184 university students. Metacognitive awareness demonstrates convergent, and discriminant validity was performed, which includes six factors: conditional knowledge, declarative knowledge, procedural knowledge, monitoring, planning, and evaluation. Data analysis was using exploratory factor analysis. The results indicated that Cronbach’s alpha coefficients demonstrated that metacognitive awareness was a reliable instrument researcher could use to evaluate university students’ mathematical reasoning abilities. This research analysis revealed that positive relationship between metacognitive awareness and mathematics reasoning among university students.
Tak, C. C., Zulnaidi, H., & Eu, L. K. (2022). Measurement Model Testing: Adaption of Metacognitive Awareness Toward Mathematic Reasoning Among Undergraduate Education Students. Contemporary Mathematics and Science Education, 3(2), ep22021. https://doi.org/10.30935/conmaths/12510
- Abdelrahman, R. M. (2020). Metacognitive awareness and academic motivation and their impact on academic achievement of Ajman University students. Heliyon, 6(9), e04192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e04192
- Adinda, A., Purwanto, Parta, I. N., & Chandra, T. D. (2021). Investigation of students’ metacognitive awareness failures about solving absolute value problems in mathematics education. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 2021(95), 17-35. https://doi.org/10.14689/EJER.2021.95.2
- Al-Mutawah, M. A., & Fateel, M. J. (2018). Students’ achievement in math and science: How grit and attitudes influence? International Education Studies, 11(2), 97. https://doi.org/10.5539/ies.v11n2p97
- Arshad, M. N., Atan, N. A., Abdullah, A. H., Mokhtar, M., & Abu, M. S. (2017). Learning the strategy of reasoning through marzano dimensional mastery learning model among form four students for the topic of differentiation. Sains Humanika [Humanic Science], 9(1-4), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.11113/sh.v9n1-4.1116
- Artemov, S., & Fitting, M. (2019). Justification logic: Reasoning with reasons. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108348034
- Asy’ari, M., Mirawati, B., Zubaidah, S., & Mahanal, S. (2022). Students’ metacognitive awareness in natural science learning: An overview by gender. Jurnal Penelitian Pendidikan IPA [Science Education Research Journal], 8(1), 67-72. https://doi.org/10.29303/jppipa.v8i1.1146
- Awang, Z. (2018). A handbook on structural equation modeling using AMOS. Universiti Teknologi MARA Publication.
- Barenberg, J., & Dutke, S. (2018). Testing and metacognition: Retrieval practice effects on metacognitive monitoring in learning from text. Memory, 27(3), 269-279. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658211.2018.1506481
- Battista, M. T. (2017). Mathematical reasoning and sense making. In M. Blanton, J.-M. Baek, K. Cramer, & M. T. Battista (Eds.), Reasoning and sense making in the mathematics classroom: Grades 3-5 (pp. 1-19). National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-809285-9.00001-6
- Calvin, T. L., & Duane, W. D. (2002). Mathematical reasoning for elementary teachers. Addison Wesley.
- Cohen, R. J., Swerdlik, M. E., & Sturman, E. D. (2012). Psychological testing and assessment: An introduction to tests and measurement. McGraw-Hill.
- Creswell, J. W., & Creswell, J. D. (2018). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. SAGE. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Erenler, S., & Cetin, P. S. (2019). Utilizing argument-driven inquiry to develop pre-service teachers’ metacognitive awareness and writing skills. International Journal of Research in Education and Science, 5(2), 628-638.
- Flavell, J. H. (1979). Metacognition and cognitive monitoring: A new area of cognitive–Developmental inquiry. American Psychologist, 34(10), 906-911. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01477430
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2019). Multivariate data analysis. Cengage Learning.
- Harrison, G. M. (2018). Evaluating metacognitive awareness inventory using empirical factor-structure evidence. Metacognition and Learning, 13, 15-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11409-017-9176-z
- Haryani, S., Masfufah, Wijayati, N., & Kurniawan, C. (2018). Improvement of metacognitive skills and students’ reasoning ability through problem-based learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 983(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/983/1/012174
- Hidayah, I. N., Sa’dijah, C., Subanji, & Sudirman. (2020). Characteristics of students’ abductive reasoning in solving algebra problems. Journal on Mathematics Education, 11(3), 347-362. https://doi.org/10.22342/JME.11.3.11869.347-362
- Jeannotte, D., & Kieran, C. (2017). A conceptual model of mathematical reasoning for school mathematics. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 96(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10649-017-9761-8
- Johnny, J., Abdullah, A. H., Abu, M. S., Mokhtar, M., & Atan, N. A. (2017). Difficulties in reasoning among high achievers when doing problem-solving in mathematics. Man in India, 97(12), 61-70.
- Karaoglan Yilmaz, F. G. (2022). The effect of learning analytics assisted recommendations and guidance feedback on students’ metacognitive awareness and academic achievements. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 34(2), 396-415. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12528-021-09304-z
- Khodaei, S., Hasanvand, S., Gholami, M., Mokhayeri, Y., & Amini, M. (2022). The effect of the online flipped classroom on self-directed learning readiness and metacognitive awareness in nursing students during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nursing, 21(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-022-00804-6
- Lestari, W., & Jailani. (2018). Enhancing an ability mathematical reasoning through metacognitive strategies. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1097(1), 0-7. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1097/1/012117
- Maiti, S. (2017). Impact of reasoning ability on mathematics achievement. International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation, IV(Vi), 111-113.
- Medina, M. S., Castleberry, A. N., & Persky, A. M. (2017). Strategies for improving learner metacognition in health professional education. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 81(4), 78. https://doi.org/10.5688/AJPE81478
- Moxon, J. (2022). Psychometric evaluation of abridged versions of the metacognitive awareness inventory in the Japanese population. Current Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-022-02763-2
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (2021). Moving forward: Mathematics learning in the era of COVID-19. https://www.nctm.org/uploadedFiles/Research_and_Advocacy/NCTM_NCSM_Moving_Forward.pdf
- Olson, G. A., & Johnson, H. L. (2022). Promote students’ function reasoning with activities. Primus, 32(5), 610-620. https://doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2021.1872751
- Ozturk, N. (2017). Assessing metacognition: Theory and practices. International Journal of Assessment Tools in Education, 4(2), 134-134. https://doi.org/10.21449/ijate.298299
- Robillos, R. J., & Bustos, I. G. (2022). Learners’ listening skill and metacognitive awareness through metacognitive strategy instruction with pedagogical cycle. International Journal of Instruction, 15(3), 393-412. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2022.15322a
- Roick, J., & Ringeisen, T. (2018). Students’ math performance in higher education: Examining the role of self-regulated learning and self-efficacy. Learning and Individual Differences, 65(September 2016), 148-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2018.05.018
- Saleh, M., Charitas, R., Prahmana, I., & Isa, M. (2018). Improving the reasoning ability of elementary school students through the Indonesian realistic. Journal on Mathematics Education, 9(1), 41-54. https://doi.org/10.22342/jme.9.1.5049.41-54
- Schraw, G., & Dennison, R. S. (1994). Assessing metacognitive awareness. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 19(4), 460-475. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1994.1033
- Singh, P., Hoon, T. S., Akmal, N., Nasir, M., Hoon, S., Han, T., Rasid, M., & Bzh, J. (2020). An analysis of students’ mathematical reasoning and mental computation proficiencies. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8(11), 5628-5636. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.081167
- Smith, A. K., Black, S., & Hooper, L. M. (2017). Metacognitive knowledge, skills, and awareness: A possible solution to enhancing academic achievement in African American adolescents. Urban Education, 55(4), 625-639. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085917714511
- Subia, E. G. S., Salangsang, L. G., & Medrano, H. B. (2018). Attitude and performance in mathematics I of Bachelor of elementary education students: A correlational analysis. American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences, 39(1), 206-213.
- Sukirwan, Darhim, & Herman, T. (2018). Analysis of students’ mathematical reasoning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 948(1), 012036. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/948/1/012036
- Sulistyowati, F., Budiyono, B., & Slamet, I. (2017). Problem solving reasoning and problem based instruction in geometry learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 895(1), 0-5. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/895/1/012045
- Tabachnick, & Fidell. (2007). Using multivariate statistics. Pearson. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4757-2514-8_3
- Tak, C. C., Eu, L. K., & Hutkemri, Z. (2022a). Measurement model and adaptation of self-efficacy toward mathematics reasoning among university students. Asian Social Science and Humanities Research Journal, 4(1), 37-43. https://doi.org/10.37698/ASHREJ.V4I1.114
- Tak, C. C., Zulnaidi, H., & Leong, K. E. (2021). Analysis validity and reliability of self-efficacy and metacognitive awareness instrument toward mathematical reasoning. Turkish Journal of Computer and Mathematics Education, 12(9), 3332-3344.
- Tak, C. C., Zulnaidi, H., & Leong, K. E. (2022b). Measurement model testing: Adaption of self-efficacy and metacognitive awareness among university students. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(9), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12366
- Wafubwa, R. N., & Csíkos, C. (2022). Impact of formative assessment instructional approach on students’ mathematics achievement and their metacognitive awareness. International Journal of Instruction, 15(2), 119-138. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2022.1527a
- Widana, I. W., Parwata, I. M. Y., Parmithi, N. N., Jayantika, I. G. A. T., Sukendra, K., & Sumandya, I. W. (2018). Higher order thinking skills assessment towards critical thinking on mathematics lesson. International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2(1), 24-32. https://doi.org/10.29332/ijssh.v2n1.74
- Widya, R. S., Siti, I., & Anis, F. J. (2019). The analysis of students’ mathematical reasoning ability in completing mathematical problems on geometry. Mathematics Education Journal, 3(1), 72. https://doi.org/10.22219/mej.v3i1.8423
- Yelgec, N., & Dagyar, M. (2020). A structural equation modelling of middle school students’ metacognitive awareness, self-efficacy beliefs, and foreign language learning anxiety. International Journal of Contemporary Educational Research, 7(1), 127-148. https://doi.org/10.33200/ijcer.657172
- Young, A. E., & Worrell, F. C. (2018). Comparing metacognition assessments of mathematics in academically talented students. Gifted Child Quarterly, 62(3), 259-275. https://doi.org/10.1177/0016986218755915
- Zayyadi, M., & Kurniati, D. (2018). Mathematics reasoning and proving of students in generalizing the pattern. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 7(2), 15-17. https://doi.org/10.14419/ijet.v7i2.10.10945